Monday, June 8, 2009

Of Plutonium & Detectives

Sleuthing Nuclear Smuggling, 10x6.5", pencil/digital

While I was in Yellowstone, I received an email from the art director of Security Management about doing a spot. The article, Sleuthing Nuclear Smuggling, was about how the black market sale of nuclear materials can't be stopped through electronic detection devices alone, but more hands on detective work.

I worked up some film noir imagery with magnifying glasses, spy movie lighting, etc, but thankfully because I had some time to get the sketches done I didn't need to rely on my immediate ideas (some of which were a bit tired). They chose my 3rd sketch, wherein an agent peels back the 2d skin of a briefcase to reveal it's nuclear contents. The end product came along well and the magazine was very easy to work with. It was a great chance to do the kind of illustration I really hope to be doing more of in the future.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Backstory: The Toontown smuggling ring has been cracked open. The Law doesn't stop when the Z axis disappears.

They chose Mr. Magoo as the pointman, thinking nobody would suspect the blind man. But I did, and I nabbed that crook's flat suitcase while the K-9 team took him to the ground.

I knew he smelled dirty. Like acrylic.

I left my signature ass-sized fingerprint as a warning to the other perps in Toontown. I'd be watching. Waiting.