Friday, January 22, 2010

Cipactli

Cipactli, 8.75x7.5", graphite/digital
Hi everybody. I had the chance to do concept work for Incubator Games' flagship title, Tribes of Mexica. They were looking to redo the design of a god in the game, Cipactli. Knowing close to nothing about Aztec mythology, I went to Wikipedia and read up about her:
In Aztec mythology, Cipactli was a vicious primeval sea monster, part crocodile, part fish and part toad who was also bisexual. Always hungry, every joint on her body was adorned with an extra mouth. Tezcatlipoca sacrificed a foot to her when he used it as bait to draw her closer. Cipactli was the source of Tlalticpac (the Earth) which the gods created from her body.
In my sketches I tried some various combinations of the animals they list in the description but also tried to mix in some of the cultural flavor surrounding the game. The art director thought the adornments were a step removed from the primal nature of Cipactli, but gave me the go ahead on my first sketch. Check out there website to see more of the great design, especially the cover illustration by UK artist Alice Duke.

Some thumbnails, done at pub quiz.

No comments: