Sunday, April 27, 2008

Cthulhu!


Well, not entirely. This is a piece inspired by HP Lovecraft and the Cthulhu mythos. HP Lovecraft led a life that not surprisingly led to his writing/defining a genre of horror writing that tackled ideas like insanity, beings outside of human understanding, and of course the idea that there are sleeping gods of an ancient world who wait to take ours. He was sickly as a youth, lived under his mother for a long time until she became hysterical and died. The picture is of a proper-dressed figure struggling against a swarm of tentacles, surrounded by vignettes of Lovecraft and celtic spirals, and muddy, ominous footprints in the rain.

This is another design for an intro piece in my portfolio. I got the suggestion to make it more figural, if just because so much of y work involves people. The girl is in a field of tall grass with clouds in the background, and on either side are details of my finish drawings. I wanted the background to be made of elements from two of the boxes in my last intro piece, which is now the end of my portfolio, so that front and back can relate a lot more closely.

No comments: